Below are 10 questions that we went over during a review class at my school:
1. A fifteen year old girl has been sent home from school on three occasions for drinking alcohol at school. Each time, the mother becomes angry and threatens to punish the girl but is convinced by the father to give her another chance. Which of the following BEST characterizes the father’s behavior in this situation?
2. Parents continually refuse to communicate with their child who is in a residential treatment facility. The social worker should FIRST:
a. respect the parent’s need for separation by not contacting them
b. request that the child be discharged
c. contact the parents about the child’s placement
d. assess the child’s response to the parents’ actions
3. Common indicators of sexual, physical and emotional abuse include all of the following EXCEPT:
a. violence against younger children
b. sexualized behavior
4. The concept of gender roles is BEST defined as:
a. attitudes and behaviors attached to individuals because of their sex
b. an individual’s sex orientation and/or preference
c. biological characteristics that influence an individual’s behavior
d. interplay of biological and sociocultural influences
5. Which type of interviewing question is MOST likely to generate client defensiveness?
a. open ended
6. When interviewing a client whose speech patterns are different from the social worker’s, the social worker’s PRIMARY consideration should be that:
a. communication patterns vary due to economic conditions
b. speech is influenced by culture and experience
c. psychosocial conditions will cause variations in speech
d. speech is influenced by group taboos and norms and may indicate false beliefs
7. The initial symptoms of schizophrenia MOST often occur between which of the following years of age?
a. 6 to 12
b. 13 to 16
c. 17 to 45
d. 16 to 60
8. Which of the following approaches would be MOST appropriate to use in evaluating client satisfaction with the social worker’s provision of services?
a. using a single system design, evaluate the quality of services
b. in the final interview, ask the client about their level of satisfaction
c. after submitting process recordings, ask supervisor for feedback
d. at termination, ask clients to complete a service evaluation and satisfaction form
9. When conducting an assessment of the risk factors of child abuse for a child of a different ethnic background, a social worker must FIRST:
a. be aware of how personal cultural biases affect the social worker’s ability to deal with issues of diversity
b. realize that assessment models are not a substitute for clinical judgment or experience
c. use a strengths’ perspective rather than a deficit model to form a partnership with the child’s family
d. understand the need for appropriate eye contact, tone of voice and question techniques during the assessment
10. A social worker is receiving a client with long-standing depression. It becomes known that the client has racist beliefs. The social worker should:
a. respectfully confront the client’s prejudiced beliefs
b. educate the client about the negative effects of racism
c. refer the client to another therapist who might have similar belief
d. respect the client’s beliefs and focus on the presenting problem
1. b 2. d 3. d 4. a 5. d 6. b 7. c 8. d 9. a 10. d
I’m hoping that you found looking these questions over helpful.
Have you recently taken the exam? If yes, how did it go? And do you have any lessons learned and/or tips to share?