Comments

1. says

Dorlee,

I’m glad to have been able to connect you with Charles, so that you could connect him with the broader reach of your readers.

I particularly liked what he said about intuition – that our body speaks to and for us – learning to listen is one of the key steps in staying safe.

2. says

Thanks again, Marianna – I am most grateful :)

Charles has provided us all with so much priceless information about keeping safe!

Yes, his advice about listening to our intuition was fascinating…and thanks for pointing out that this post may also be helpful for all those who interface with the public!

3. Anonymous says

He has written a book every single social worker should read. Sadly, those who teach social workers are living in a utopian worldview where no one gets angry, is on drugs or drunk, or who would ever cause violence toward a social worker. They see these dangerous people with total compassion instead of proper caution and that has lead to attcks, injury, rape and even death of the social worker. Your teachers are out of touch with the reality on the streets. If you are a social worker, or know one, get this book! It could save a life.

4. says

Dear Anonymous,

I agree that every single social worker should either read Charles’ book and/or heed the advice he is giving here and in part two of this interview.

However, I’m not sure that I would agree with the second part of your statement…I don’t think that those who teach social workers are necessarily living in utopia but rather they may (wrongly) assume that the agency/setting where a social worker is working will always provide social workers with adequate safety guidance.

And this is sadly not true :(

5. Anonymous says

Great blog/interview; social worker classes need to talk about that more. I am looking forward to part 2 of the interview. keep it up!!

6. says

Listening to your intuition and paying attention to what your body is telling you is the number one safety lesson I’ve learned in my field work. Personally, I’m not usually afraid of what clients will do as much as I am other people in the building or neighborhood, but the lesson holds up. Every dangerous situation I’ve encountered has been one that I had a feeling about, but ignored. I’m finally at a point where I will skip a home visit, cross the street, or run (this has only happened once–all the gang members were running one way, so I went the opposite) and not care if someone on the street is a little insulted or thinks I’m crazy.

It was good to hear that advice from a professional! Thanks :)

7. says

Thank you for being willing to share some of your learnings from the field.

I think you’ve raised a very important additional safety concern that comes up particularly when one is working out in the field and that is – other people in the building or neighborhood.

It’s wonderful to hear from you that listening to your intuition and what your body is telling you (an important tool that Charles has mentioned is all too often ignored) has been an effective method of addressing safety concerns in your neighborhood.

And I’m totally with you – who cares if someone on the street thinks you’re crazy by changing directions in the way you are walking etc when listening to your intuition – you need to keep safe!

8. says

@Dorleem I work in CPS Investigations in NC, and this is the book my agency used in our safety training course. Pleasure to be connected to such a valuable resource. Will be adding a link to the interview and Safe Approach to Socialworkhelper

9. says

Hi Deona,

Thanks for sharing your positive feedback and agency experience with using the Safe Approach book written by Charles Ennis.

You are also most kind in adding a link to this interview at Socialworkhelper. That is most appreciated :)